The New Brunswick Bike Exchange is a non-profit organization run by the efforts of volunteers who collect, recondition, and sell used, quality bikes. The NBBX offers an ever-changing selection of low cost bikes for riders of all ages, from occasional recreational riders to frequent riders and commuters. All bikes are fully assembled, operational, and available for test rides before purchase.
Our mission is to promote a healthy and active lifestyle through cycling while raising money to support PRAB’s various community services.
We are located at 90 Jersey Avenue in New Brunswick. The entrance is at the rear of the PRAB building through a garage door in the rear parking lot.
If you have bikes to donate, please e-mail Leighann at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss any arrangements.
2018 Season 6 Hours:
Our Opening Day is Tuesday April 17th!!
Tuesdays: 6PM to 8PM
Thursdays: 6PM to 8PM
** Check our Facebook page for last minute shop closings **
Bike essentials for beginners
Thinking about starting to bike, biking more often, or perhaps commuting by bike? Did you just get a bike but aren’t sure what else you need? Here are some helpful resources:
The folks at Gizmodo have tips for commuting: Gear You Need To Commute By Bike
The folks at REI have tips for:
- Cycling Checklist
- Pre-Ride Inspection
- Bike Fitting Basics
- Bike Gear Essentials
- Bike Helmets
- Bike Repair Kit
- Teaching a Child to Ride
The folks at Bike New York have tips for:
How to protect your bike from theft
It has probably happened to you or someone you know: Having your bike stolen. It is not fun. It is infuriating. Although there is no guaranteed way to prevent your bike from getting stolen, there are ways to deter would be thieves from choosing your bike as their next target. We found these articles to be very helpful:
- Bike Roots blog: 5 Steps to Effective Bike Security
- Bike New York: Locking Your Bike
- REI: Bike Locks
- Check out our Useful Links page for bike registration advice.
Check back often to see what we are up to!
If you want to get involved in the New Brunswick Bike Exchange there are a couple ways of doing so:
- Organize and/or host a bike drive in your community, workplace, church, boy/girl scout troop, or other community and service oriented organizations. If you can put the word out to your community, we will provide support for the drive including brochures, fliers, and transportation to get the donated bikes back to our warehouse.
- Volunteer in our shop, located in the warehouse at PRAB’s 90 Jersey Avenue facility. No mechanic experience is necessary and there are a variety of volunteer roles. We need cashiers, salespeople, accountants, mechanics, and bike drive coordinators. Check out our Volunteering page for more details.
PRAB is a Human Services Organization in Middlesex County, New Jersey that provides a comprehensive range of essential services for children, youth, families and senior citizens. For more information on PRAB, click their logo.
Hope to see you around the shop!